Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Cones......

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    The new cones are here!
    The new cones are here!

    I'm Somebody!

    Oops.....wrong movie. :-)

    Anyway, after a long wait for GPA, my 416 cones are here and I can have the 416-8C woofers reconed. Once those are done, I'll have the 416-8B woofs reconed. Then I can try them both in the 19's.

    GPA has been swamped, but I wasn't in a hurry anyway.

    More after I get them done.

    Ron forums

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought you were yelling cohones at first forums One step closer to great sound now Ron.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    No one got my reference to the Steve Martin movie the "**** ". The new phone books are here......
    Sigh

    So I got the cones home and took a close look at them. Compared them to the original cones. I have the woofers all apart and ready to do the install.
    Anyway, the new paper formers with the voice coils wrapped around them are not as heavy duty as the originals. They look the same, but aren't quite....as near as I can tell.
    The screen mesh in the dust caps is also different, coarser and don't flow air as well. I tested this by blowing through them.
    So I suspect the T/S parameters will measure different than stock. I'll test this when I get them back from the re-coner. I'm being picky, but not complaining. I understand that it has to be difficult to exactly duplicate 30 year old parts.

    Bill at GPA even included shims to position the voice coils! So I played around with that a bit, and I think if I had the right glues, I could do these myself. On the other hand, my re-coner has done thousands of them, and for $34 each, I'm going to take advantage of his experience. He used to be an authorized Altec repair center before Altec went **** up.

    I hope to get these done this week, then get them home and do some measurememts. I think I'll measure them as recieved, then put them on the bench with a 10hz sine wave running them at a decent excursion for a few hours and re-measure to see if the parameter change. Break them in so to speak.
    I'll keep you posted with the results.

    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can hardly wait to hear hear them so I can only imagine what it must be like for you.

    BTW, need any Chevy checkered flag emblems? I used to collect emblems with my boys when they were small and have a couple of boards on the walls with some on them. I have a couple extra of the crossed flag emblems if you wanted one or both.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Mike,
    You might try to Epay those emblems. I have a few, but just from my old cars.....Impala SS427 wagon, and my 68 Chevelle.

    The cones.....themselves are also different from stock. The lead in wires aren't in the stock locations. And the cones aren't as stiff as the originals.
    I'll know more when my re-coner sees them.

    Ron

  6. #6
    Inactive Member davewaibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Hey, he's not carnival personnel". I got it, just no read your post....picking out a thermos for you......not an ordinary thermos for two...but the extra best thermos you can buy....

  7. #7
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well when I last compared Bills kits to the old 416B kits every thing looked the same to me but the dustcap screen, but I would not believe this would change the performance of the speaker. If you are worried why not swap in the old screens on the new dust caps ????

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Excellend Idea, I shall consider it.
    Ron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.